SMOKE --- 10 quest interv


I heard/read for the first time about SMOKE on a review on the 'Gerauschkrieg' blog --- i immediately got their last 'Haze' tape on Hair On My Food and it blows me away: pure sonic chaotic assault.

Ordered a couple of other releases & sent them some questions --- here you are what they told me:



1) Tell us a little about yourself


K:

SMOKE consists of two members: myself on Guitars and Vocals and M. on drums.

Some drumparts on the older tapes were also handled by me, in this case M. would take over Guitar duties.

Every recording we ever did with Smoke is completely improvised and recorded, nothing about the music is written, apart from the lyrics that is.

We both come from the province of Utrecht, The Netherlands.

I have been and I'm still part of a lot of other bands and projects:

KRAAKHOER, which is a deranged Punk / Black Metal act run by myself and S. of Hypomanie and Isa.

ANGELUS DIABOLI, my (now-defunct) solo-project, I released a tape in 2009 on Wolfsvuur Records, the tape is more or less a compilation tape of tracks I recorded between December 2006 and May 2008.

I revived the act in the first month of 2011 under a new name; Eeuwig. Expect new material soon. Tracks have already been recorded and i'm currently looking for a label willing to release the material as a split on 7"

I also formed the band GRIFT back in 2006, which used to be a two-man project, again run by myself and M., eventually it evolved into a five-man band.

.

I have also been involved in a lot of Harsh Noise projects since 2004. I'm still active within Harsh Noise with my project ONKUNDE.

I'm also involved in a few other projects, all of them have their own releases, but for the time being they will stay unknown and anonymous.


M:

SMOKE was formed in 2006, we have always been a two-man act and will always be, apart from a few sessions musicians we invited to take part of our recording sessions.

I am also active in some other projects:

NEVELRIJK, which is my soloproject. I have released one demo and a 4-way split release in 2007, both released on Wolfsvuur Records. A new release is in the works, but due to some technical problems and busy schedule I still haven't got the time to record it.

I'm also still active in the band GRIFT, which started with K. and me as said above.

The rest of the projects I have been involved in, are not of any interest.



2) How & where do you usually record your stuff?


We have used a lot of techniques and equipment to record our material; for example: a few microphones placed in our rehearsal room, or a tapedeck placed in our rehearsal room.

We have also done some studio sessions, but personally prefer our own "crude" ways of recording our material.

There is a chance we will someday try another studio session, we have set our mind on a small recording studio that uses a Tascam 688 to record directly to tape, we will always prefer analog methods.



3) Do you play much around your area? If so, what kind of places do you usually play?


K:

We have done some shows in the past and we are willing to do more.

Personally I prefer small "home-shows" and squat parties, those shows tend to have more of an underground feeling to them,

Playing in front of a small select crowd with cheap beer just works for me, I also don't give a fuck about the other bands in the line-up,

I'd play with any band or project in any genre, especially Harsh Noise and Powerviolence acts, fuck yes.

We are also willing to play in any country, the only thing we need is a drum kit, maybe some amps, some money to get there (and get back) and some beers or vodka.


M:

We did some gigs, which were not only in our area.

We are willing to play everywhere, if the conditions are good; Lots of (free) alcohol, a select crowd and what I prefer, other chaotic and raw bands

I also prefer to play at shows which have an underground feeling, and for that crowd which our music is meant for.



4) three words to describe Smoke poetic imaginary


Improvised Satanic Chaos



5) what are the visual images that are most connected with your art?


In short; Images depicting the eternity of hell, a subject we also preach in our lyrics.

Our lyrics are like sermons, we preach about the eternity of hell and the eternal suffering endured within.

I will ask you: what is it that makes it hell?

You might answer: "the suffering the damned have to endure here"

But alas my friend, your answer does not quite hit the nail on it's head; It's the ETERNITY of the suffering that makes it true HELL.

Nonetheless, people should feel free to adopt their own visual images whenever they listen to SMOKE, also people should feel free to contact us about that, feedback is more then welcome!



6) could you recommend us some bands that are worth to check out?


K:

Let me start with an Italian act: DEMETRIUSGRAVE, I've been in contact with DemetriusGrave's core-member, Mr. Grave, for what seems an eternity.

Be on the lookout for the 2009 demo tape: "The City Is So Big" the tape is sold out, but if you can find it, get it!

Note: this might not be for anyone, as DemetriusGrave is known for implementing loads of Techno influences in their extremely filthy Black Metal,

it might sound like a strange combination, but it really enhances the chaos this act tries to bring upon the listener, total support all the way!

SATANIC BLOOD from The Netherlands, Rituals put to music.

Unstructured and improvised Black Metal, totally unrelenting and uncompromising.

BESTIAL SUMMONING from The Netherlands.

In my opinion, everyone should know this, if you don't either kill yourself or get the compilation cd "The Dark War Continues".

Or even better; their 1991 LP release "The Dark War Has Begun"

SKUGGEHEIM from Norway

Especially his first demo; Vinterikets Konge and first EP; Kjøt og Blod are worth checking out!


M:

BESTIAL SUMMONING

Raw improvised black metal from the Netherlands.

I think this has been a great influence for both K. and me.

VITSAUS

Raw black metal from Finland.

Especially the demo's are worth checking out.

CELESTIAL BLOODSHED

The greatest black metal band from Norway of the last few years.

Their only full length 'Cursed, Scarred and Forever Possessed' is really worth checking out.

Also great live band.

It's a pity the vocalist got shot in the head, and died, so no shows anymore.



7) Do you usually read? If so, what book are you reading these days?


K:

I used to read alot, books that is.

Nowadays I tend to stick with watching interesting documentaries.


M:

No.



8) Do you ever listen to your older releases? If so, how do you feel about them? If not,

how come?


K:

If I get the chance to listen to our old tapes, I will, so I occasionally listen to them.

I prefer listening to our more recent (to be released) material.


M:

Not very often.

When we record a session with Smoke, I will listen to it for a couple days to completely listen to the music itself, details etc.

At time of the older releases, we weren't really used to improvising together, which you can hear, especially on our first two demos.

Then again, there is also progress to hear in those two demos.

I myself prefer to listen to our more recent recordings, which are way better improvised, and where my drums sounds better to. In the beginning I wasn't very good. But now I can do faster blastbeats, and hold them for a longer period then first, play tighter etc.



9) are any of you into other art forms?


K:

Somewhat yes, I enjoy Harsh Noise alot, which to me is more of an art form then it is music.

I also enjoy the theatre, I currently work at a theatre, I can honestly say that to fully understand a theatre show, you should be involved with all of the "backstage" activities.

I also used to paint back in the days, which I really suck at, nonetheless, it always kept me busy.

A very good friend of mine is a very good painter, so he has more or less rekindled an old love of mine.


M:

I'm not.



10) what's a perfect day for you?


K:

A perfect day is defined by so many things, It's really hard for me to describe a "perfect day", so let me stick with a few simple things;

Finishing work early, go out to dinner with a beautiful lady, maybe have some drinks with her later on.

Staying up late, drinking vodka, maybe record a few Smoke sessions later that night.


M:

Waking up late, drink loads of alcohol, maybe smoke some weed, and realise the world will end at the end of the night.

At least a perfect day has something to do with alcohol.


---

SMOKE website ----> http://www.eeuwigheyt.com/



--------------------------------------------------

//////////////mp, 2011